Monday 13 July 2015

11 July 1915

Young Galway shot sniper (I observed for him. Turk thrown right out of his hole by explosion) in tunnel under Turk's trench. Shot caused small explosion - probably bomb. W Foster firing in evening through same loop hole, had finger of left hand almost severed by explosive bullet. Down on beach bathing, got some packets of cocoa from patrol boats crew. Cruiser bombarding again today aided by captive balloon and aeroplane. Strips of canvas laid on ground in shape of various letters used to communicate with observer. Last night took message round to 11th Btn, down through long sap Pitch dark had to feel my way along sides of trench, very steep and narrow. New firing line not yet completed, so 11th lie out in front of their trenches at night. I could not find their officer. He was out in front with patrol. I groped about for some time along the gully before I came up to them. One sentry nearly pushed his bayonet into me.This evening shrapnel caught some of the 10th Reinf. 1 killed shot through heart. Turk blew up two of our trenches.

No comments:

Post a Comment